Monday, August 10, 2026

In the defense of Dark Souls 2 Weapon Breaking system

 Hello there! 

This will be the most Raw and un edited thought I will be posting here. 


As I was walking a while ago I remembered Dark souls 2, the fond memory of boss fights and tough encounters, how that game made me play it in a way like I was playing a stealth game, I was constantly worried of each encounter, fearing if I get ganked by a bunch of baddies and lose my humanity, souls and everything. 

what is worse is dying in the middle of an intense boss battle or a deep run but why you lost... that! is what makes things interesting! 

Weapons breaking on you is a solid reason why you sometimes lose, the interesting part about that system is that you are constantly watching out for the gear, your shield, your weapon, you are constantly watching their health while fighting trying to make sure they will not break as fixing them some times cost a good number of resources you could invest somewhere else. 


I my self play usually as an Inga Bonga build, give me the big boi Great Sword 

I know if you were a broad sword kinda guy you can carry two, one breaks you shift to the other and you do not feel a thing, but when you are a great sword! the whole play field is different as you require a certain level of strength to just carry the damn thing but also you need strength to carry other things without getting overweight.

to me personally that is when things got the on the edge! as I was carrying this giant hunk of metal around and man this thing broke fast and in the heat of a boss battle, you can kiss it good bye! I remember the first time this happen, I do not recall against whom but I felt it, I remember the dread as I instantly had to scatter around running for my life while thumbling on the controller trying to change to whatever weapon I can use to replace it. 




this is when it sunk in, oh shit, I need more strength to carry more shit but also, what can I carry with it, and that is where this system came into full on strategy! I had to learn and get used to another weapon and play style as a back up plan as if the weapon breaks or low on health I can shift on the fly, at first all I can carry with it was a dagger, then I had to strip some of my armor pieces to carry a broadsword so my combination became Great Sword Main and BroadSword as 2nd form and if I shift to second form I taught my self to go quickly into the menu and unequip the BroadSword out of my gear to gain more movement and speed, if you break my Great sword, you will be in more trouble. 




until I started building my character's strength and health to get more weight limit and more speed. 

it was an interesting journey how the game punished me for my shortsightedness, cornered me into shifting to a new strategy and adapting to its systems with a new play style. 


Weapon breaking helps you adapt to the situation and not get too comfortable doing the same thing over and over, takes you off guard if you get too relaxed and smack you on the hand and say " stop repeating the same thing, do something else! " it was the curve ball that I needed in the game not to get too comfortable swinging that massive hunk of metal.

to me that system was the most powerful of DarkSouls 2 character and gameplay, if you disagree, give Darksouls 2 a run, with this in mind, see how it sits, take a different point of view. 

you might like it, or you might hate it more. 


just wanted to share this thought with you guys, have a good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment